Monday, June 21, 2010

Why I no longer am a member of the Sierra Club

I was a member of the Sierra Club for years and years. I quit a while ago. They still send me letters all the time with offers to rejoin. I still believe in their overall mission. Actually, I don’t know very many people who do not want clean air, clean water, and some undeveloped land. But I am no longer a member, and will not become a member because they are hypocrites. If you read the Sierra Club magazine, you’ll see a quarter of it (at least) is devoted to eco-travel. They promote sending plane loads of affluent westerners to ecologically sensitive areas of the planet on tours. Last time I looked, planes sucked enormous amounts of fuel and and are not emission-free. Then there’s the fuel and resources used to keep those tourists in comfort once they are there. If they’re serious about saving the planet, they should not be promoting this kind of travel. Sure, the tour operators claim to be ecologically sensitive, but common sense tells me that just leaving the most ecologically sensitive portions of the planet alone is probably the best policy.

1 comment:

Perplexio said...

When my wife & I last went out east to visit my family in the Adirondack Park there was absolutely no cell phone reception where we were camping.

In recent years there's been discussion of building a cell phone tower (camouflaged as a tree) on the campus of Paul Smith's College to provide cell phone coverage for that area. I'm hoping that doesn't happen. It's nice to know there are places where one can't be reached by phone.

Being a former member of the Sierra Club, you might find the books of Ann LaBastille to be intriguing. She wrote 4 books (Woodswoman, Woodswoman II, Woodswoman III, and Woodswoman IV) about her environmental efforts and about living in the Adirondack Park. Sadly I read she now has Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home. But her books are must reads for those who care about/for the environment.