Sunday, May 23, 2010

Road Trip

I took a little road trip last week. I intended to go to the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH, which I try to visit every few years. But, it turned out that wasn’t really the highlight of the trip.

TOM

My first stop was Edgewood, Kentucky to visit my friend Tom. Tom has cancer and recently finished 7 weeks of radiation therapy. He looks good and the doctors say the prognosis is good. He finds out June 8th if the radiation worked. There are a couple of things he’ll have to deal with the rest of his life due to the radiation. If the radiation therapy worked, he felt the tradeoff was acceptable. We had dinner with friends from former jobs (Michelle, Garry, and Gene), laughed a lot, and it was fun.

Further observation: The Ohio River is pretty impressive. That area may be another road trip candidate.

THE AIR FORCE MUSEUM

I always enjoy this museum. There was nothing new this year; they had just moved the planes around. A few of my favorites were not available as they are getting ready for the 60th anniversary of the Korean War.

FORT WAYNE, INDIANA

I decided to head north from the Air Force Museum rather than stay in Dayton. Due to really nasty weather, I ended up in Fort Wayne. According to the news the next day, 4.5 inches of rain fell that night. There was very impressive lightning and thunder. Good thing nature was putting on a show because the hotel’s satellite TV was definitely not working during the storm (we had the same problem in New Hampshire – just when you can’t go anywhere and TV seems like a good idea, the darn thing stops working. Never get dish…).

RV / MOTORHOME HALL OF FAME – ELKHART, INDIANA

I’m really glad I stopped here. I’ve been by it a number of times and as I zipped by at 70+ miles per hour I would say to myself: “I should stop there.” So, I did. I’ll just let the pictures describe this part of my journey:

rv_hall_of_fame 002

This is one of the first Airstreams. 13 feet long.

rv_hall_of_fame 003

One of the first motorhomes, from the 20s – heated by pot-bellied stove.

rv_hall_of_fame 008

This is the dash of a 50’s era motorhome (called the Cortez). No navigation system? No AC? No backup cameras? How did they ever cope?

rv_hall_of_fame 010

The couple that owned this lived in it from 1948 to 1988. Charming and homey inside.

rv_hall_of_fame 014

This one is my favorite – someone converted a 1976 Cadillac. Truly hideous, but I wish I had one. I bet it would be like driving the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.

rv_hall_of_fame 012

Here’s the interior of the converted Caddy. There wasn’t enough headroom for me to stand.

rv_hall_of_fame 015

The climate control and entertainment systems in a 1920’s travel trailer.

rv_hall_of_fame 019

Paramount Pictures built a motorhome for Mae West and this is it. The cool thing is it had a porch in the back. The back door here is opened to it. Supposedly, she sat out here in a rocking chair in the evenings. Why don’t today’s motorhomes have porches? I think this is really cool.

rv_hall_of_fame 021

This was my favorite trailer. I just loved the wood and it felt so homey and comfortable. It’s from the 30s.

1 comment:

Perplexio said...

The motorhome pictures are great. Monaco RVs are actually owned by my company. I checked online as I wasn't/aren't familiar with Monaco and seeing the RVs they make I could see why-- most of them are more expensive than my home... Some are even in the $500k-$750k range...