Sunday, April 4, 2010

Wanderlust

What a great word: wanderlust. I start to get feeling this way when the weather gets warm. I want to just hop in my car and drive. I’m not picky about where – just go somewhere.

I have mixed feelings about the approach of spring and summer. Sometimes I think of those seasons as “yard-work” season. Maybe my wanderlust is just the urge to escape that work. But, most of the time I think it’s more than that. There’s an urge to hit the road, explore, see what’s in the next town, what’s in that state park I’ve never visited.

I think I’ll go to the Air Force museum this spring. I’d also like to visit a friend in the Cincinnati area while I’m down that way who’s battling cancer. I have hopes by the time I get down there he will have found out he’s won. Maybe that will satisfy my wanderlust. For a little while.

1 comment:

Perplexio said...

Back when I was "unattached" and living in Ohio when the weather would get warm I'd go "exploring" after work. I'd take alternative routes home and I'd decide, "hey where does this road lead if I stay on it?" and go on little adventures. They wouldn't be long adventures nor would they take me far but it was fun just being out and about and traveling on roads for the sake of exploring as opposed to having any particular destination in mind. There are times when I miss that.

I hope that you're able to go on those trips on your wishlist this spring & summer. The wife, daughter, & I are planning a road trip out to the Adirondack State Park in NY to visit with my family this July. I'm looking forward to that.