Monday, June 1, 2009

I Wouldn't Start From Here - The 21st Century and Where It All Went Wrong by Andrew Mueller


I just finished reading I Wouldn't Start From Here - The 21st Century and Where It All Went Wrong by Andrew Mueller. This is a good read. This Australian went to all the places in conflict on our planet (Serbia, Bosnia, Kosovo, the Middle East, Northern Ireland, Africa) and somehow made the absurdity of their conflicts humorous. It does end on an optimistic note:

"We have heard a lot in the twenty-first century to date, not least from your
outgoing president, about a grand global struggle between good and evil. I'm as
certain as I can be that no such dispute is occurring. The universal human
conflict is, as it ever was, between the smart and the stupid. In general, I'm
still betting on the smart, even if it does often seem that the stupid have the
numbers."

No comments: