Thursday, May 8, 2008

Property Taxes & Government Spending


Our property tax bill arrived recently. It went up again - 5.42%. I have to let our county politicians know that it can't continue like this. At some point the property taxes become too much to pay.

At about the same time there was an article in our local paper about Kane County's childhood obesity study - projected to cost $500,000. The article said it would be funded by a grant and some taxpayer money, but that is not really the point. Why is my county government doing anything at all regarding childhood obesity? I could save them a bunch of money because the answer is obvious: eat less junk and get outside and do something instead of sitting in front of the TV or computer for hours. I work at our local library and I am amazed how many kids, on a gorgeous day, come to the library to sit in front of a computer for hours at a time to watch videos. Don't kids shoot hoops anymore? Play softball?

No comments: