Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A Book That Motivated Me

I read a book about writing recently. I read How to Become a Famous Writer Before You're Dead by Ariel Gore (www.arielgore.com). I've read a lot of books about writing over the years. But, this one actually made me do something, namely start this blog. I always thought the only way to write was the traditional way - create something and then send it out to traditional media and wait. That is no longer the case. There are lots of ways to get your work out into the world now. POD, self-publishing, blogs, websites... I can do any or all of these things. Of course, I knew that before, but this book actually got me going. The title certainly caught my eye too, having just turned 50 not too long ago.

As I read her book, I thought about street musicians. They are the ultimate free market capitalists. They stand out on a street corner and put their product out into the world as best they can. Their product quality, personality, and marketing skill will solely determine whether anyone throws money in the pot. No deceptive advertising, no bait and switch - if you like it you might give some money, or not. The web is one of the writer's street corners (though I haven't figured out yet how to receive your money even if you were so inclined). My words are now out there in the public domain. Perhaps no one will ever read them. Perhaps those that do will have scathing comments. Perhaps I will never become a famous writer before I'm dead. But, with the help of this book, I've decided to give it a try.

No comments: